Haws Paint and Body Shop, originally Story Paint & Body Shop, was owned by Jeep Story. In 1956, Jeep called and asked Bill Haws to come to Ft. Worth and join as a partner of the body shop. He did, and commuted for months until him and his wife, Evelyn, moved to Ft. Worth. Soon after, the shop became known as Story and Haws Paint & Body Shop.
In ’63, Jeep Story quit the body shop business and sold his half to Bill. The shop was incorporated and became Haws Paint & Body Inc., and Bill ran the shop while Evelyn worked as bookkeeper. During that year in 1963, Lawrence Stephens came to work at the shop and worked for ten years as the head painter. In 1973, Bill had a heart attack. He couldn’t do much heavy labor during his recovery, so he would go down to the shop and teach Lawrence to do the body work. During this time, Lawrence not only shined as an excellent painter, but also a very talented body specialist.
In 1985, Bill retired and Lawrence purchased half of the shop, taking over the management in the process. Lawrence’s son, Eddie, came to fill the vacancy in the body shop when Bill left. In 1992, Lawrence, too, suffered from a heart attack and Eddie stepped in to run the shop. To this day, Eddie has maintained ownership of the shop in the same way that his predecessors have: with respectability, credibility, and reliability. For over 50 years, Haws Paint & Body Shop has been doing the same top quality work that it was founded on.